Saturday, February 19, 2011

Sour Cream Stars


Have you ever heard of adding sour cream (or buttermilk or mayonnaise) to boxed cake mix? Supposedly it makes your cake/cupcakes more rich, moist, dense, and just all around better. When I told my husband I was planning on doing this, he gave me the most contorted and twisty face he could physically conjure up. He's too funny!

What I did was replace the water with 8 ounces (or 1 cup) of sour cream. I believe you can do the same proportions with buttermilk or mayonnaise. I couldn't really taste a huge difference in how they tasted with the sour cream versus water, but either way they still tasted great!

My best friend gave me a set of 12 star-shaped silicone cupcake cups a couple years ago and I had never used them, so I decided that this was as good a time as any to bust 'em out for some rainbow chip cupcakes.

Do you have any special alterations you make to a box of cake mix to make it taste better?

No comments:

Post a Comment